Friday, April 24, 2015

I've Got a Crush On You

So I have a serious crush on this boy... only he turned 30 this week so should probably no longer use the term "boy" and instead say "man." When we met we were at the age where it seemed funny and maybe even somewhat romantic that he would throw coasters at me. We were also at the age where I felt no shame in pretending to like cats so that when he was holding a kitten I had a legitimate excuse to sit beside him. We were also very mature in telling our family about our relationship. I think the conversation with my sister went a little something like this: "Do you want to go hang out at my friend Andy's house? Oh and don't freak out if he tries to kiss me, we may be dating."

The photograph I came across (in print, taken from an actual camera-because we're that old) perfectly shows the maturity. I mean like amazingly well. We look 12. Okay maybe 16... 18 tops. We sure felt like we knew everything and were ready to take on the world though. Little did we know then that we would be looking back at that picture nearly 11 years later and laughing at how naive we were.


Here we are, all this time later, and I still have the biggest crush on the man who is my husband and the father of my children. The world keeps changing around us and we continue to grow together, which is the best part of having a partner to spend your life with. I feel pretty lucky to spend my days with him and I look forward to the day we sit down and look back at the picture of our 30 year old selves and laugh at all the things we thought we knew and reminisce about all the great things we were a part of that we never could have foreseen. Happiest of birthdays, my love. I hope to spend many, many more with you!


P.S. This picture makes me wish we took more pictures with actual cameras. Selfies are awkward (and in this case blurry.) I'm sure 40 year old me will totally make fun of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment