Sunday, October 6, 2013

Homemade {Whipped} Laundry Soap

Recently I have had friends and family members ask me for the recipe for the laundry soap I use. There are tons of recipes posted online so I never thought to share mine in this format, however maybe I should feel obligated after scaring people off from the idea with the story of my first attempt.


I thought I would share the recipe I use but also tell you why I love it so.
(The recipe can be found here and I only make a small modifications.)

When I make this soap I make 4 quarts at a time, this way I don't have to make it as frequently. I suggest starting out small and deciding if you like the soap, as each quart will wash 32-64 loads of laundry depending on load size and how dirty your laundry gets. My first attempt at soap I made laundry soap for an entire year... and I hated it. (Which led to the crazy exploding jar mishap that was my first attempt at whipped soap.)

With two small children we do a lot of laundry. I mean A LOT. Sticky hands wiped on shirts, dirt digging in light colored clothes, and oh the dirty socks we have (if only they'd leave their shoes on!) All this and I still only have to use the minimum 1 tablespoon to get our clothes clean. That means one quart of soap washes 64 loads of laundry.

Unlike the powder form I first made, I have no issue with the soap not breaking down in the wash, it isn't gritty and easily rinses off the spoon into the machine. It works into the clothes easily as a spot treater on the tough stains and leaves the clothes making so good!

I do still add a little borax or sometimes bleach to the whites to get them brighter as I did with store bought detergent, it's a matter of personal preference.

The best part of this detergent is that it is easy to make and, if you're willing to do a little work to make your own, it can save you a lot of money.

Whipped Laundry Soap
Makes 4 Quarts

To make this detergent you will need:
2 cups Arm and Hammer washing soda (approx. $3-will do numerous batches)
2 cups 20 mule team borax (approx. $3- will do numerous batches)
1 bar Zote (or 2 bars Fels Naptha) (approx. $1/bar)
4 tablespoons Downy Unstoppables (approx. $5- will do numerous batches)
6 cups of water
Large sauce pan
Cheese grater
Butter knife
Whisk
Plastic or metal spoon
Blender or mixer
4- quart size mason jars with lids

To begin place the water in the pan and bring to a low boil. Meanwhile shred the bar soap using a cheese grater.
Once the water begins to boil, slowly add the soap shreds and stir until completely dissolved.
Add the unstoppables and stir until dissolved.
Remove from heat and add borax and washing soda, mixing until dissolved and the spoon no longer feels gritty when run across the bottom of the pan (this part took me a while and the whisk came in handy.)
Poor equally into the jars then add water until it reaches the shoulders of the jars.
Place lids tightly and invert jars and let sit for 3 hours to cool. (It is important to invert them because as the soap cools it starts to crystallize or solidify and if that happens in the bottom of the jar you will have difficult time getting the soap to mix well in the next step.)
After three hours, turn jars right side up and remove lids.
Using a knife, slice the firm soap that has set at the top crosswise.
Remove the blade and base from your blender and attach to the mason jar (how cool is it they fit?!)
Blend until soap combines and builds in volume, filling the jar.
Replace lid and store until ready to use.








Be careful when using mason jars, just like when canning food I recommend keeping the jars in hot water until you are ready to fill them to ensure the jars do not crack when the hot liquid is added to them. Also, when adding water use warm water as to not shock and crack them during that part of the process.
Also, be sure you are not using baking soda in place of washing soda or you will end up with a mess like I did. If your clothes tend to hold odors I like to add vinegar and/or baking soda into the machine along with the soap at the start of the wash.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's one tablespoon per load. If you have a particularly large or dirty load you can use up to 2 tablespoons (that is the max I have ever used), however a little goes a long way. If you use too much you could have issues getting it to rinse well.

      Delete