Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall Traditions: Costume Making

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year. I love watching everything change color and give way to the stillness in preparation for the coming spring. Cool weather brings layers upon layers of warm, cozy clothes and warm drinks to wash away the chill. The air of change is refreshing to me and I love getting caught up in it all.

There are many things I love doing this time of year; trips to the pumpkin patch, photo shoots in the leaves, hayrides, pumpkin drinks..pumpkin foods...pumpkin everything, apple picking and, of course, costume making.

I've never been big on Halloween, it's just not my thing. I find it strange to send your kids door to door asking for candy under the cover of darkness. As much of a scrooge as I can be about the holiday there is one things that I can get into and that is the costumes.

I have made every costume my girls have worn and I hope to continue the tradition until they outgrow the need for them.

I made a baby bird costume for Amelia's first Halloween. We joked that she looked like a baby bird at feeding time so it seemed appropriate.


 

The following year she was a pig, mostly because I thought it would be cute and she was little enough I could get away with it without complaint. She raked in the candy that year because she wouldn't leave the doorstep after receiving her candy and instead would say, "Thank you. Have a good day. Happy ween," prompting more candy to be dropped into her bag.



Last year I made the two of them coordinating outfits for their first Halloween together: Little Bo Peep and her sheep. Bo Peep's dress was time consuming, but a fun project that helped me learn a little more about sewing and my sewing skills.





This year the costumes were picked by Amelia. She is at the age where she is starting to have an opinion about things and when her request was so original I couldn't say 'no.'



Any guesses as to what they will be this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment