Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reusing Frappuccino Bottles

When I went to visit my mother in Texas over the summer I exploited my mother's guilty habit of consuming bottled frappuccinos and had her collect the empty bottles for me. I thought they would be good for drinks at the girls' birthday parties and rather easy to pretty up. With a little fabric and thread I whipped up these toppers to coordinate with Amelia's Ice Cream Shoppe party.



To begin I removed the labels from the bottle and washed it in hot soapy water and scrubbed the sticky off. (A little Bar Keeper's Friend help do the trick for the stubborn spots) Next I traced a circle roughly twice the size of the bottle lid onto fabric and cut them out. (One fat quarter made 12 toppers.) Using the sewing machine set on an overcast stitch I followed the perimeter, overlapping where they meet to ensure they wouldn't unravel. Taking one circle and a small rubber band (the kind made to go in littlekids' hair) to hold it in place, I put it on the bottle and marked where I wanted the straw to be. I cut a small circle out and using the same stitch I stitched the perimeter. Make sure the circle you cut isn't too large as it will get bigger after you stitch around it. All that's left is to fill the bottles with your drink, put your toppers on with the rubber band, and put a straw in!

 



I think these will be great for the spring and summer when the bugs fight you for your drink when you're outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment