Friday, May 9, 2014

Making Cheese and New Friends

I have a wonderful aunt who has wonderful ideas like taking a cheese making class. It had been on her list of things to do and I was lucky enough to get to tag along earlier this week to join her in the adventure. I'm always interested in learning to make things at home, but cheese seemed a little intimidating to me. My worries were put to ease after meeting our lovely teacher, Christy Harris of Providence Hill Farm. She has been making cheese for a long while now and after hearing how she learned from working in her kitchen with farm fresh milk (traded to her on a barter no less), using a couple books and trial and error, I knew she was the perfect person to show me how it's done. It was a much easier process than I imagined it would be and we took home delicious fresh cheese at the end that could convince most that we were pros!





As much fun as the class was I think I was just as excited to hear about how she started into farming, her passion for her goats, her involvement in the community, and her children (if she has 5 and can do all that she does I can surely do some with the 2 I have!) I love finding people who are doing things they are truly passionate about and it's even better when they overlap with some of my own interests! (I may or may not have referred to her as my new best friend.)



These cute little babies were hard to resist! It was fun to see the moms and babies and know they were part of our cheese making process. The goats milk is also used to make lotions and soaps and she teaches classes for those too-how perfect is that?! My aunt and I both had a wonderful time and will be back, if not for another class then at least to milk a goat!

Side note: Husband, can I please have a goat? Please??




And now pictures of our lovely Chevre cheese:




If you want to take a peek at Providence Hill Farm here is a link to their website:
http://www.providencehillfarm.net/
And I'm internet famous on their facebook page (and by famous I mean there is a picture of my aunt and I)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Providence-Hill-Farm/259725353141

No comments:

Post a Comment