Thursday, November 13, 2014

Blueberry Apple Butter

I often make family members my taste testers when I try out new recipes and one of my favorite games to play is to pull out all of my fruit butters and jams and make them try one after another... while I watch... and analyse what they think by their expressions... and ask a million questions. It makes them a little uncomfortable. Weirded out yet? They are actually pretty good sports about it and I give them the goods to take with them so I like to think it's a win-win. My favorite is when I announce, "this one is blueberry apple" and almost every time I get the response, "I don't really care for blueberry." I persuade said person to try it and guess what- it's pretty much the favorite of everyone who has tried it!

I love smothering a fresh baked biscuit in this sweet butter, the girls want it on their pancakes (They win today!) The deep purple color is so pretty and the flavor is outstanding. I have to make sure to hide spoons when I pull it out because my girls eat it by the spoonful!


Ingredients

Makes approximately 7 cups

7 pounds of apples, cleaned and quartered
4 cups blueberries
Juice of one lemon
2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/8 tsp allspice

Directions

In a large pan combine apples, blueberries and lemon juice. Heat covered over a med-low heat until juices start to appear in bottom of the pan. Turn heat up to medium and continue cooking until all fruit is soft and easily pierces with a spoon, stirring occasionally. Once fruit is tender remove heat and process through a food mill, discarding skin, seeds, and tough pulp from the core. Place processed fruit into crockpot and add remaining ingredients, stirring well. Heat on high uncovered until fruit has reduced by half. Stir occasionally to keep from burning along the top edge as it reduces. Fill 8 oz mason jars and process in a water bath for 5 minutes or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator. 

Note: For a smoother texture I run the finished butter through the blender.


Breakfast time!

 






























No comments:

Post a Comment