Friday, May 11, 2012

Spring Risotto with Peas and Zucchini



Another recipe, courtesy of Martha, found it's way to our table this week and will probably be one we make frequently. (Probably because of my love of carbs in just about any form!) Note: this makes 6 servings. I wish I would have noted so I wouldn't have made so much!! It's good reheated but next time I think I'll cut the recipe in half.

Spring Risotto with Peas and Zucchini

Ingredients:
2 cans (14.5 oz each) Chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound (1-2 large) zucchini cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups Aborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine (I forgot I 'accidently' drank mine so I substituted chicken broth)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
salt and pepper

First heat the broth and 2 1/2 cups of water in a pan over low heat and keep warm. ( I turned it on low and covered it so I didn't lose any to evaporation.) While that is heating, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 3 quart sauce pan over medium heat.  Add zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown. (About 8 minutes) Using a slotted spoon, remove zucchini and put aside.

Reduce the heat to medium-low and add onions. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Raise the heat to medium and add rice. Cook until translucent around the edges, about 3 minutes. (I didn't notice them getting translucent so I cooked them for 3 minutes and assumed they were ready and it came out great.) Add wine (or in my case, broth) and cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes.

Cook rice, adding 1 cup of broth/water at a time. Stir until most of the water is absorbed before adding more. Continue until all the broth has been added. This should take 25-30 minutes total.

Add the zucchini and peas and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter and the parmesan cheese. Garnish with more cheese. Enjoy!

It's a little time consuming to stand over the stove; stirring and adding broth, then stirring some more, but the end result is worth it. It is so creamy and good. I wish I would have put a little more zucchini in it. I love zucchini. I served this along side parmesan crusted chicken, so good!



Again, picture is courtesy of Martha. Mine looks this tasty, however doesn't photograph as well!



2 comments:

  1. I love risotto, I will have to try this :) I will have to get my grandma's PB cookie recipe and do a post on them. I will link you in the post since you thought of it :)

    ReplyDelete