Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Wisdom of Dr. Seuss

I was doing my usual Facebook browsing while wait for the girls to fall asleep this afternoon when I came across a picture someone had posted. It was a picture of the Cat in the Hat and had a quote from Dr. Seuss reading, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Wise words.

As a mother of two girls I worry constantly for them. How long am I going to be the only influence in their lives? Will I have instilled enough self-worth and given them enough positive encouragement to have them stand proudly as themselves? Will they understand that the quite confidence of just being you will outshine the flashiest fads and trends? Will they love themselves, giving them a great ability to foster healthy, fulfilling relationships? Will they know that if they stay true to themselves regardless of what anyone says or does that there will be no limit to the things they can accomplish?


Although most of these things won't present themselves for some time, it's the confidence we instill in them now through our unconditional love and support that is setting the foundation for how they feel about themselves and the choices they will make later. I hope they are always brave enough to be who they are and say how they feel.

I think this quote may find it's way into their 'big girl' room in the form of wall art of some sort. It's too good to read once and forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment