Sunday, August 19, 2012

Oh Pepto...

Saturday morning started earlier than I wanted, so as little faces peered over the side of the bed into my tired face I pleaded with the husband for five more minutes. Being the great husband he is, he obliged and took the girls to change diapers, use the potty and get some breakfast. About 30 minutes later he climbed into bed with me and told me it was time to get up. We laid there for a couple minutes and finally I worked up the energy to kick my legs off the bed and get up. Andy was a couple steps ahead of me when I heard:

"What is in your mouth?!"

I looked down at Amelia who was spewing a pink substance onto the floor leaving a trail as she ran (she had a feeling time out was in her future) As soon as I picked her up I could smell the cherry of Pepto Bismol tablets. She looked up at me with her big eyes and said, "Mmm, tastes good." (So honest, always!)

I tried to calm Andy down while I found the bottle to read the label. It didn't go over so well when it's warning label said to call poison control immediately. This was my first call to poison control so I was floored when no one would answer. I called my sister, who is a nurse, who started googling things online for me while I called back and this time said it was a life threatening emergency (it could have been for all I knew, that's why they should have answered the non-emergency line so I would know!)

After a few minutes on the phone with a really nice lady it was determined that she would be ok, but would probably have a stomach ache and weird colored bowel movements. She ate 7 tablets, but the amount of aspirin was low enough that there were no real risks.

We went through the whole day Saturday with no issues, no tummy aches, no issues using the bathroom, nothing. Hooray for a child with an iron stomach! (I credit the grass and other random substances we would find her eating when she was smaller-and even now)

Sunday rolled around and we went out to visit my parents for lunch. We arrived at their house before they did so we sat in their backyard and relaxed. That was until Amelia announced she needed to go to the bathroom. The house was locked so no potty. All I could think was I should have listened to Andy about the pull up this morning. I insisted she wear big girl panties because she hasn't been having accidents. And then I thought of my lack of planning since we had no back up clothes. Andy and I just looked at each other and then Andy turned to her and said, "You're going to potty outside."

To my shock Amelia was more than happy to give it a go. Afterwards we reinforced that it was not something we would make a habit of, only if we were camping or it was an emergency and mommy and daddy said it was ok. Two minutes later she was back to insisting she needed to go potty. We told her to wait, thinking she just wanted to go outside again, and didn't pay much attention.

Then it happened.

I heard a little voice ask, "That's not my potty, Mom?  That's not my poop?"

I looked up to see what appeared to be mud in her hand. As I looked a minute longer I saw a trail down her legs, onto her shoes, and onto the back porch of my dad's house. Just like the lady warned, strange colored poop. Black, like potting soil.

I was cracking up laughing as I used a garden hose to clean off my child and the porch. My husband took it like a champ, he has come a long way from his days of becoming squeamish at the littlest things and over reacting to situations out of our control!

My parents showed up as we were turning off the hose so we relived our experience, an unapologetic face looking at them as we told the story. Guaranteed to be one that will no doubt be retold when she's older to embarrass her.


And for those of you that are concerned, the pepto has been moved out of little hands reach. Childproof means nothing!



No comments:

Post a Comment