Monday, August 20, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

It seems like we go through phases in our house when it comes to eating bananas. Some weeks we're out a couple of days after I get them, other days I can't get anyone to eat them and they sit and get brown. Then there's my favorite; when Amelia opens one, takes one bite and then leaves it lay.

I usually take all the uneaten bits and the over-ripe ones and throw them into the freezer until I have enough to make banana bread, but then I go through the same dilemma with getting a whole loaf of bread eaten.

The solution I came up with are these tasty muffins made with oatmeal that are perfect for a quick breakfast. The best part is I can throw them into the freezer and pull them out the night before or even morning of to serve to my finicky eaters!





Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins
makes 12-15 muffins

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1/2 cup ground oatmeal*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup oil
4 bananas
topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground oatmeal
1 tablespoon whole oats
1 tablespoon butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 and grease or line cupcake pan(s).
In a medium bowl mix together the first seven ingredients and set aside.
Place the remaining ingredients (excluding the topping) into a blender and puree until blended.
Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry, mixing gently as you go. Once combined set aside and allow batter to rest.
In a small bowl combine topping ingredients and mix together until crumbly.
Spoon batter into cupcake pan, filling about 2/3 full.
Sprinkle the top of each with 1 teaspoon of topping.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Tips:
Using chilled butter cut into the dry ingredients will keep the center from caving under the crumb topping

*I use my blender to grind oatmeal. Approximately 3/4 cup whole will be enough for the muffin and the topping



Shared at

No comments:

Post a Comment