Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cat-Calls Are No Form of Flattery

Seriously, who thought, "Maybe if I make loud hooping noises or deep throaty Mmm sounds I can get this girl to notice me?"

Notice you we do, but not in the manner you hoped for, sorry buddy.

I remember doing such silly things in high school to friends and thinking it was hilarious, but that is nothing like the manner of cat-calls I have been subjected to as of late or seen/heard others subjected to.

I do not see any way in which one would find it to be flattering for some random person to look you over and make a scene, letting you and anyone else within ear shot know what they'd like to do to/with you.

I find great joy in making those people uncomfortable. Like the time I was loading my two year old into the car when I was honked and hollered at by a car full of high school boys... All they saw was my rear sticking out of the car, until I stood up and turned around exposing my 9 1/2 month pregnant belly (giving it a little rub for effect). The looks on their faces and the sound of their tires squealing as they hurried from the stop sign was great.

Then there was the incident from today. A man interrupted my quite walk with my girls to "my god" and "Mmm Mmm Mmm" at me. He said, "that gorgeous and two babies..." Gross, buddy. Clearly you have no manners if you think speaking to me like that, especially with my children present, is okay. Sarcastic me couldn't take it. "Well clearly my husband must agree with you, seeing as how there are two babies... I'll tell him you said so."

I've been accused of not being able to take a compliment (although, I think calling that a compliment is a stretch) and of being a prude. I think I'm just a woman. Not a piece of property, not something for oogling eyes, not someone to be talked to you as you see fit. I am a person deserving of respect.

Maybe I would have just let things slide by before, but there is something about being a mother of two girls that lights a fire under me when things like this happen.

I have two smart, caring, funny, independent, entertaining little girls who happen to be the most beautiful things I have ever laid eyes on.

I think they deserve to be treated with the utmost respect and to be seen and appreciated for all of their wonderful attributes. I have no control over other people and little over all the things they will be exposed to in their lifetimes, but I do know what their father and I show them will be just that.

Amelia was getting ready one morning when she went to look at her hair bow in the mirror.

"You look beautiful," I told her.

She responded, "No! I'm smart!"

I think we're off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment