Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's Nothing a Glass of Wine and a Hot Bath Won't Fix

Raising children is exhausting. I'm sure my parents (who were crazy enough to have four kids in four years) are answering aloud, "Yeah it is!" as they read this. It's not that I was oblivious to this going into this whole parenthood thing, I think I just painted a prettier picture of it in my head.

I particularly hate the husbands work schedule at the moment because it leaves me to fight the bedtime battle alone. No matter what the day is like for us, bedtime is never easy. Something about being tired brings out this wild, loud side to Amelia where as Marinn cries and wants to cuddle quietly. See the dilemma? So... at least it's not unfair because neither of them gets what they want? (Go with it- It makes me feel better to tell myself this.)

We all usually hold it together through the cleaning up of toys and the running of the bath water but, after that, all bets are off. There are never enough hands to wrangler a toddler, wash faces, stuff pacifiers into crying mouths, dress them, or carry them to bed. By the time they are both tucked into bed, showered with kisses, and sang to we are all exhausted.

On a good night we only go through the process once but most days we do it a few times. (Teething babies, potty training toddlers, any other excuse one can come up with to get out of bed...) Nights like tonight, where we stay gone all day and come home right before bedtime, are especially fun. Tears started the second we hit our porch and didn't stop until they both finally gave into exhaustion and fell asleep.

I hate when we end such a good day that way, it leaves me physically and emotionally drained. Thankfully there is something to ease pain of a rough night: a hot bath and a glass of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment