Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Perfect Pancakes



I have a love affair with pancakes. Stack 'em high, cover them in butter and syrup, and I'm powerless against them.

I grew up eating Bisquick pancakes and I loved how fluffy and flavorful they were, even without syrup. The down side was that once you opened the bag you had to use it quickly to get the same results. Also, it wasn't something I always had in the pantry (not to mention the fact it's a little pricey.)  
So after having a pancake-loving toddler join the club I set out to find the perfect recipe.

I browsed recipes and made many batches of mediocre pancakes. I joked with Amelia that it was like the story of The Three Little Bears and that we had to find the one that was "just right." And that is what we did! 



To make 10 perfect pancakes you will need:

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons oil

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
In a 2 cup measuring cup, whisk together wet ingredients and warm in microwave for one minute. (This helps activate the baking powder.)
Stir wet ingredients into the dry until just mixed and let the batter rest for five minutes. 
Pour batter onto hot griddle and cook until bubbly, flip and cook until golden brown. 

A plus to this is you can store the batter in the fridge for up to one week. Amelia and I are the only ones who eat pancakes in our house so we can never finish 10 pancakes in one setting.  Also, I'm sure this will come in handy once the girls are in school and mornings will be busier than they are now!




No comments:

Post a Comment