Monday, July 30, 2012

Poire Belle Helene

Pears, pears, and more pears! My husband just shakes his head as I continue to haul home more fruit but I can't resist. It's free, not treated with any chemicals, and my kids get to go pick it and see where their food comes from- how can you lose?

I made pear sauce, spiced pear butter, and now I'm working on baked goods starting with: Poire Belle Helene cupcakes. It is based off the french desert which is pears served with ice cream and covered in chocolate sauce.

This recipe is from a cook book my sister gave me called Cupcakes Galore. It is actually the first recipe I've tried from this book and has made me excited to try more!





Poire Belle Helene
Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 ounces dark chocolate (I used Lindt 70% cocoa)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cups sugar
3 eggs, separated
3 pears, pealed and cored

chocolate sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3 ounces dark chocolate
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla


Preheat oven to 350. Mix first 3 ingredients and set aside. Melt butter and chocolate using a double boiler or microwave. Once melted add the sugar and mix well. Next add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each one. Mix in the dry ingredients and stir until smooth. In a small bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are stiff. Gently mix eggs into batter. Dice 2 pears into small pieces and mix into batter. Spoon batter into cupcake tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place on cooling rack.

To make the chocolate sauce mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. In a small sauce pan melt the chocolate into the milk over medium-low heat. Once melted add dry ingredients and mix well. Simmer for five minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat then stir in butter and vanilla.

To serve, spoon sauce over top the cupcakes, slice remaining pear and place on top for garnish. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you'll be in heaven!

This chocolate sauce recipe was so good and made more sauce than I needed for the cupcakes so I may or may not have put it on anything I could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment